If you have an itch for some Black Ops 2 DLC, you’ll get the chance to scratch it soon enough. Multiple sources are reporting that the first DLC pack, entitled Revolution, will be released for Xbox 360 owners on January 29th. As usual, the release is a timed exclusive for the Xbox, but PS3 and PC owners won't have to wait long; it'll land on those platforms on February 28th.
While the word on the street is that Activision has yet to confirm the DLC, this isn't the first time we've seen promotional footage for the content. Leaked teasers were posted on Reddit last year. And, by last year, we mean last week.
Amazon's listing has surprisingly not yet been pulled, meaning we can gather the following information regarding the DLC:
Four maps will be available:
- Hydro--This large map allows you to use the dam and water to your advantage to block paths and stop enemies.
- Downhill--A medium-sized map based in the French Alps complete with snow, chair lifts, and a strategically placed lodge.
- Grind--Set within the locale of the Venice, California boardwalk, this small skate park map is sure to deliver fast and frenetic Call of Duty action.
- Mirage--This Gobi Desert multiplayer map utilises sand dunes to provide different levels of elevation and a sanctuary in the centre as a natural chokepoint.
A new zombie map will also be available:
- Zombies - Die Rise--The Zombie apocalypse has invaded China, turning downtown into a dilapidated and dangerous MC Escher painting.
Finally, a new weapon will be added to our available arsenal:
- Peacekeeper SMG--This impressive sub-machine gun fills the open weapon slot in your load-out with power and accuracy.
The Revolution Content Pack will run 1200 Microsoft Points, which should equal $14.99 for PS3 and PC owners.
After press, Activision finally commented on the speculation by releasing a trailer that details what to expect from the first DLC for Black Ops 2.
As expected, the maps will be, you know, multiplayer maps.
Hydro is a map designed around choke points and bottlenecks. You can also flood a spillway and eliminate anyone unfortunate enough to not get out of the way. Grind takes places in a skate park, meaning everything in the environment is curved. Downhill is the game's first snow-based map and expects to play out as a long raged map. Mirage is a Chinese resort destroyed by a sandstorm. You can run around in sand dunes.
Moving on to the zombie maps, Die Rise adds the concept of vertical gameplay to zombies. Sure, you have to worry about what's in front or behind you, but you'll also have to keep in mind what's above and below. The map was designed to feel like a maze and attempt to gamers.
Turned is the DLC's new game mode, where you'll play as a zombie. Yes, a zombie. Your goal is to take out the one lone human player. Should you accomplish this, you'll assume their role and earn points for killing zombies.
The Peacekeeper is the franchise's first weapon available through DLC. The SMG is a hybrid SMG-assault riffle, but that's all we know about the gun. We don’t know how the weapon is balanced around current gameplay.