Camelot Unchained, the spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot, is in the middle of an impressive Kickstarter fundraising campaign. The game, which is being produced by City State Entertainment, will feature the same realm versus realm gameplay that DAOC was known for. Essentially, people in your realm will speak different languages, have different resources, and are often kept completely separate from one another. What’s really interesting is that the game has no Player vs Environment-based leveling. To progress in the game you must fight other players.
Here’s what the official Kickstarter page had to say about the Realm vs Realm system.
- Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG. RvR is an acronym for Realm vs. Realm® (this term is a registered trademark of Electronic Arts), which we call TriRealm™ for the interaction of the three main realms.
- The game will feature RvR-based leveling tracks for all classes. No PvE (player vs. environment) -based leveling, loot drops or other such systems are currently planned. All leveling will come from engaging in the game’s RvR-based systems, whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.
- You will have the choice of playing any realm on each of the game’s servers except that you may play only characters from the same realm on any single server. In other words, one server = one realm.
- Our subscription tiers will be based on players' individual choices regarding participation, but will be less than the current accepted norm for MMORPGs.
- The game will be developed for PC (Windows) with stretch goals for other platforms.
- The game will be available in English with French, German and other languages based on demand.
- The client will be DRM-free and distributed via Torrent.
Camelot Unchained is looking for a whopping two million dollars in order to continue production. With six days left, it has raised $1,432,938. They are so incredibly close and with a little more help from their fans, they might just make it.